Tuesday 14 August 2018

Interview with Nicole Olson – DEAD LOVE


Nicole Olson juggles a career in marketing with that of an acting star on the rise; the star of the new horror film Dead Love (out this month from Wild Eye Releasing) gives us the 411 on the movie that’s likely to see offers pour in for her.

Let’s get to the nitty gritty. How hard is it to make it as an actor? 
Well, I work in marketing now so..?
Hah, just kidding (but I do work in marketing at the moment.) Dead Love is my first movie, so who knows what opportunities may open up once it’s released. I definitely think it’s easier to get auditions as an actor once you have some momentum going, otherwise it’s hard to know where to start.

I suppose you have to be a pretty strong, resilient person to choose it for a career?
Determination is a pretty big factor.


What’s your typical audition like? I imagine many actors are going up against many, many others?
I can’t really say! This was filmed three years ago, and I’m exploring another career at the moment. But from my past experience, it just depends on the project. Sometimes you see a select few who are cherry picked for an audition, other times it’s an open call with a line around the block.

Is there a part you’ve lost that you so dearly wanted – and the disappointment has never left you?
Not really, I try to just go with the flow. The parts that you’re really meant for will find you.

The roles you’ve gotten though are wonderful. What’s been the favorite?
Since Dead Love is my silver screen debut, I would have to say Fiona.

And which of the parts opened the most doors for you?
As I previously mentioned, this is my first feature. But, I’m excited to see what the future holds!


How did this one come about? 
Kind of a wild story. I responded to a Facebook post in a group for Colorado filmmakers, and one self-tape later, I found myself doing a chemistry read in Denver. I heard that I got the part that same night.

And is it any different working on an indie to a larger budgeted project? I imagine there’s more creative freedom?
As stated earlier, Dead Love is my first movie. From what I gather, the biggest difference is the amount of time you have to get the perfect shot. We filmed this movie within twelve days, and had to reshoot it six days in. I can’t imagine a large budget movie pulling that off.

Did you get a lot of say in terms of dialogue and improvements you might have had for the character?
Right before the reshoots I definitely had a hand in shaping Fiona’s story a little bit, but as an actor who started in theatre, I tend to stick to the script in terms of dialogue. 

How did you wind down at the end of the day after shooting some of those more gruelling scenes?
Unfortunately for me, I’m a method actor, so there wasn’t a lot of winding down until we wrapped the production. Plus, we were filming in the middle of the Rocky Mountains in a small town, so there weren’t a lot of opportunities to seek out distractions.

When is a movie a success for you?
I don’t really know what success for the movie looks like yet, and I can’t wait to find out! Maybe if I see Dead Love fanart...then I’ll really know it’s taking off.

If you want to keep up with me in the meantime, feel free to follow along on social:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/nicoleeolson/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/nicoleoolson


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.